1. Had an interview at this one place that.. was actually less of an interview and more like a skills test. I talked to the boss lady for a little while, and then she gave me a flyer about this event that will be happening soon and told me to write a thirty-second radio spot for it, make a brochure, and write a letter to distributors of said brochure. I think it went pretty well. It was fun to write a commercial again, took me straight back to my internship days. And I discovered my cell phone has a stopwatch function- neat! (ETA: Got a call back and it looks like I'll get a second interview that I have to schedule tomorrow. So, yay!)
2. I finally
got my copy of Unseen Academicals
! I scampered down to the store yesterday morning, but for whatever reason their shipment of the books hadn't come in yet. Luckily, the guy I was talking to (who surprisingly enough was a neighbor of mine I haven't seen or spoken to in years but used to be friends with as a little kid) put me on an email notification list and reserved a copy. It actually worked out nicely, because my route back from the interview place goes right by the store, so I just had to swing in and pick it up on my way home. And now it's here, in my hands, and I'm trying desperately not to idly flip through it and spoil myself as I've been so good about not doing so far.
3. My copy of the new Real Tuesday Weld album The End of the World
came waaaay earlier than I expected it to! I would recommend that... uh, well, visiblemarket
, since she's the only other person I know who listens to The Real Tuesday Weld... I would recommend she buy the actual CD, not the digital version. There's this awesome little snatch of prose written on the jacket that holds the disc. Very weird and cool. And in any case, my copy cost less than five dollars and I only had to wait four days for it, and
I can listen to it while driving even when the GPS is plugged in, so overall, I'm a crafty consumer, yes I am.
4. New Mythbusters
tonight! Oh boy oh boy oh boy! Is it just me or does it seem like new episodes just cut out really unexpectedly and leave us with reruns for untold amounts of time? Can they really be that hard up for myths to bust that they have to cut each season short? Hmm...Evidence that the next few days will be pretty good too:
5. I'll be hitting the Rifftrax live event encore tomorrow night, and this time I'll have company! It's gonna be great, visiblemarket
, I promise. When do you want to meet? Do you want to try our luck at the food court again beforehand?
6. Last night I discovered an honest-to-goodness cornucopia
of fabulous old movies on YouTube. At the time, I was looking for films Cary Grant was in, and came up with Holiday
(him and Katharine Hepburn), She Done Him Wrong
(him and Mae West- his break-out performance), Bringing Up Baby
, His Girl Friday
, and The Philadelphia Story
. I also spotted It Happened One Night
(Clark Gable at his snarky best), A Song is Born
(Danny Kaye being adorkable, plus superb old-timey music), and Shop Around the Corner
(Jimmy Stewart also being quite cute). Fantastic stuff.
7. One of my most favorite plays, Much Ado About Nothing
, is the Renaissance Festival's chosen performance for Shakespeare Weekend. I don't have any definite plans for going yet, sooo.. any takers?